Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reflections - shopping

Something that is probably unique to Norfolk is the number of jobs that the average person works. There are differing views as to why this occurs so much here on the island; some say it is because there are not enough people to do all the jobs needed and so we work more than one job, others will argue that one is forced to work more than one job to pay basic living costs. I know people in both baskets. I sometimes do an extra job - honestly, because I am helping out a friend. That is what we do here. The lady I help out occasionally is Di and she owns a gorgeous gift shop in the main street. I say a gift shop but of course it is much more; there are books, scarves, incense, quilting material, crystals and stones. Sometimes Donna helps Di and both gals are great for a chat while you are having difficulty choosing your tumble stones! For me as a public representative it is a good chance to talk to locals I don't see often enough and with visitors to seek their views about the island. It might be something about Reflections, the positive aura the shop exudes, but everyone who crosses the door step is so nice!  www.norfolkonline is running a poll this week that asks - is the shopping on Norfolk good for locals, visitors or neither.  There was no "both" option.  I always shop locally and find great stuff.  If we are serious about helping our economy we must.  I suggest that everyone takes a walk through Burnt Pine every so often to realize what our local shops have.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  P.S.  Never go into debt to buy what you don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment